GLOW: with simple winter skincare tips to prevent dry skin.
Brrrrr. I can’t wait for spring, can you? My skin is definitely anxious to get out of winter. Dry, rough skin is a challenge this time of year with the colder temperatures and dry air.
Since we are still in middle of winter, I wanted to share my favorite body skincare tips and how I try to keep the skin on my arms and legs soft and hydrated. These principles are important any time of year, but they do help keep my skin from feeling dry and rough right now.
Note: My facial routine in the winter is different than this process. These tips below are specific to my body skincare. (I would never used these strong, exfoliating tools on my face.) If you have an interest in my facial routine this season, let me know in the comments!
My 5 Winter Skincare Tips:
- Stay hydrated – If you are dehydrated, it can affect how you feel and how your skin looks. I’m guilty of this concern and I know I need to drink more fluids!
- Watch the water temperature – Hot water and warmer temperatures can dry out your skin. Turn the temperature down to help your skin retain moisture.
- Physical exfoliation – While in the shower or tub, I use several different tools and products to scrub off that flaky, dry winter skin. (see below)
- Lock in the moisture – After all of that scrubbing, our skin needs protection and moisture! Lock in that hydration RIGHT as you get out of the shower. Don’t wait! Apply your favorite body lotion to wet or damp skin to seal in that moisture. Pat dry.
- Chemical exfoliation – Sometimes between showers I notice that my skin can still be a little rough in the winter, especially on areas like my elbows and knees. I will periodically use a moisturizing lotion that contains a chemical exfoliant like salicylic acid or lactic acid. The terms “Chemical” or “acid” may sound scary, but these creams gently help ‘melt’ away the dead skin layers. I find them more gentle that enthusiastic physical scrubbing. (These creams can make you more sensitive in the sun, wear SPF!) I find it particularly helpful to apply these lotions to rougher areas of my body that get dry or flaky.
Please watch the video for more detailed information on my winter skincare tips and check out the products I recommend below:
SKINCARE PRODUCTS MENTIONED:
(similar to shown, links are affiliates)
– AmLactin Lotion (a lactic acid based lotion)
– CeraVe Renewing SA Lotion (a salicylic acid based lotion)
– Ammonium Lactate lotion (generic lactic acid based lotion)
How are you combating the dry, winter air this season? Do you have any other tips or tricks to share?
All I can say is, “Spring, where are you?”