GLOW… with my sunscreen buying tips.
Signs of spring are starting to show around us in Pennsylvania and I just saw one of my favorite signs of spring the other day: a big display of sunscreen!
I’m sure vacation season and warmer weather is the driving factor for the growing shelf space allotted to this product but as I’ve mentioned in the past, any time of year is a good time to wear sunscreen. I have many reasons why I wear sunscreen every day. Daily sunscreen use is one way we can help protect ourselves against skin cancer and signs of photoaging.
This time of year, I love spending time at the drugstore looking through the large selection to see what’s new and to stock up. BUT, that huge aisle of sunscreen can be a little intimidating to navigate!
So, in today’s video I am talking all about sunscreen and the 7 key factors I look for prior to purchasing a sunscreen.
Important factors to consider prior to buying sunscreen:
- Avoid combination products* (except maybe one)
- Protection level? What is the best SPF and it is broad spectrum?
- Filters? Do you prefer physical vs. chemical sunscreen filters?
- Are there any added irritants?
- Durability? Is water resistance important to your lifestyle?
- Finish? Do you prefer a lotion or a cream or a spray?
- Cost? This is a product that should be applied liberally, so it should not cost you a ton of money!
Please note: While I am a pharmacist, bear in mind that I am not a skin care expert. Most of the content I cover today is based on advice and guidelines from national organizations (like the American Dermatology Association and the Skin Cancer Foundation) but I also touch on my personal preferences in a sunscreen, too. As always, your product preferences, goals and experiences may vary.
In an upcoming video, I hope to show you my sunscreen ‘wardrobe’ and give you a quick review about all of the sunscreens I’ve tried lately. I have some favs and some flops! Stay tuned!
If wanted more information about some of the topics I touched on in the video, check out these articles and videos:
- Physical vs. chemical sunscreens – the science
- Michelle from Lab Muffin does a great job explaining the science of chemical vs. physical filters: how they work, pros/cons, myths, safety concerns and application considerations.
- Sunscreen FAQs
- Quick and easy-to-follow advice on sunscreen from the AAD.
- Physical vs. chemical sunscreens and other sunscreen myths
- Stephen Ko, cosmetic chemist, reviews a bunch of the common myths surrounding the two classes of sunscreen filters.
- Sunscreen Q&A with Dr. Dray (part 1)
- Dr. Dray (a dermatologist on YouTube) has a very detailed series on her channel going over tons of great information on sunscreen. Part one starts with types of filters and why you need sunscreen and part 2 goes into safety considerations.
- The dangers of sunscreen – A dermatologist’s perspective
- Excellent overview of some of the big safety concerns raised about sunscreen ingredients.
Disclaimer: Please read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions of any product you use. All opinions on beauty and skincare products are my own and not meant to be endorsements or medical advice. This post/video is provided for informational purposes only. It is what works (or doesn’t work) for me. As always, your experience may vary. The information shared does not establish a patient and healthcare professional relationship. If you have concerns about your skin and health, please consult with your personal health care professional. The information shared has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.